HealthSouth Altoona Presents Tips for Traveling with Disabilitites
ALTOONA, Pa. - During National Rehabilitation Week, recognized Sept. 20-26, HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Altoona celebrates Passport to Independence, highlighting effective ways to guide patients to their ultimate goal of going home.
HealthSouth hospitals provide the passport to independence for patients overcoming challenges after an illness or injury. Whether it’s an out of town trip or an excursion around the world, it is important for patients with disabilities and medical conditions and their families to know how to prepare for travel. Here is a list of tips from www.travel.state.gov to help patients use their independence safely when traveling.
- Know Before You Go: Preparation is critical. If you don’t travel frequently, speak to someone with a similar disability who has traveled to your destination before.
- Research Medical Care and Costs: Consult with your physician prior to your travel overseas to identify your health care needs during your trip.
- Carry Medical Alert Information: Carry all necessary medical information and a letter from your health care provider describing your medical condition, medications, potential complications and other pertinent medical information.
- Carry Sufficient Prescription Medication Carry enough medication to last your entire trip, including extra medicine in case you are delayed.
- Understand your Social Security Benefit: If you are thinking about an extended trip abroad, find out if you can receive your Social Security or other federal agency benefits outside the United States.
“Getting patients to their destination of independence is our mission at HealthSouth Altoona,” said Scott Filler, HealthSouth Altoona CEO. “National Rehabilitation Week provides a great opportunity for our hospital to provide various tips and precautions when traveling while highlighting the various clinicians and experts who help our patients reach their individual goals.”
National Rehabilitation Week was established in 1976 to create awareness of people with disabilities and promote the benefits of rehabilitation. In 1990, a presidential proclamation designated the third week of September as National Rehabilitation Week, which has grown to include more than 7,000 organizations.
HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Altoona
HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Altoona is an 80-bed inpatient rehabilitation hospital that offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services. Serving patients throughout central Pennsylvania, the hospital is located at 2005 Valley View Blvd. in Altoona and on the Web at www.healthsouthaltoona.com.
HealthSouth is one of the nation’s largest providers of post-acute healthcare services, offering both facility-based and home-based post-acute services in 33 states and Puerto Rico through its network of inpatient rehabilitation hospitals, home health agencies, and hospice agencies. HealthSouth can be found on the web at www.healthsouth.com.
Source: HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Altoona